High quality art
- To be a leader in supporting new developments in contemporary art.
- To commission works, with the aim of extending artists’ practice and contributing ideas to society.
- To provide a programme of high quality visual arts exhibitions, with a range of visual arts media and curatorial approaches including: solo and group exhibitions, guest curators, offsite projects, publications, collaborations/touring projects, live art, performance and film, as well as developing new contexts in which to encounter art.
- To pursue an agile approach to programming, focusing on innovation and risk-taking with the artist at the centre of the gallery’s activities.
- To showcase contemporary Māori and Pacific practice.
- To reflect the diversity of the Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland community.
- To create memorable experiences for diverse audiences through the exhibition, events and education programmes.
- To actively involve the public in the arts, and in the ideas of artists, and to challenge artists to consider the community context of Te Tuhi.
- To create a platform for New Zealanders to experience high quality art from around the world, and to share the breadth and depth of New Zealand contemporary art with international visitors.
Art sector growth
- To encourage diversity within New Zealand’s art scene, by targeting topics and practices that are underrepresented both locally and nationally.
- To collaborate with other galleries and quality cultural providers to enable the production of exhibitions and projects which would otherwise be beyond the capacity of the individual organisations.
- To seek outcomes and benefits for the art sector both locally and nationally, incorporating the needs of Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland’s creative industries.
back to Exhibition programme